Note: This was originally posted on November 8th, 2008.
Today I slept in. After a miserable workweek and copious amounts of stress, it was blissful and needed. I rose feeling refreshed and energized, and set about the task of changing the cat litter and putting on coffee. Meila chased me into the bathroom and got in my way (in the most adorable way possible) while I attempted to get ready. My husband woke up feeling groggy but good, and we snuggled on the couch with our coffee before deciding to go out to brunch.
It was unseasonably warm outside today, and it became largely apparent to me on our walk that this was the quintessential autumn day. Arm-in-arm we strolled along the leaf covered sidewalks and cobblestones, and for the umpteenth time I breathed in the sights and smells of an incredibly old and historic city, in its most wonderful neighborhood.
We arrived at Ramona's cafe for our new weekend ritual of griddle-cooked breakfasty goodness. An old friend I hadn't seen in about 4 years was there, and it turns out he went to high school with Chris. We chatted for a bit, and paid our (cheap) check and left. We stopped at the bodega for essentials and I petted the store kitty Princess before we left, chuckling about the smell of pot coming from the back of the store that wafted onto the street. Near the intersection of Dove and Jay, we kicked our feet along a pile of leaves like a pair of 10 year-olds, and I marveled at a house covered in rainbow autumn ivy.
Chris had to go off to work almost right away when we got home, so after he left I grabbed Scottie's camera (which has been at my house for about a month now) and decided to walk around snapping picks of the foliage before it's gone. I ended up almost at the Washington Park lake (and was shocked to discover that they've already started setting up holiday lights!) before it started to drizzle and I had to head home. The battery died on the camera after a short while anyway, so it was time to go.
On the way home I shuffled more leaves and giggled at squirrels. I read the date sign on every house I passed. I smiled as I walked by the place where I had my hair styled the day of my wedding, and waved at the man sweeping leaves in front of Dove and Hudson Books. As I cut through the little dog park behind my house a small white terrier barked at me. When I saw my apartment, I was happy to be home.
I love this town.
Hindsight post:
ReplyDeleteI lost my job less than one week after I wrote this, which is terrible.
I was unemployed for about three months while I fruitlessly searched for employment during the state's worst recession in decades.
In March I found a job. A great job. Makes me realize how much my old job sucked. And guess what?
It's in Center Square.