I have had it.
I would like someone to explain to me how this makes sense: it is no secret that parking in center square is problematic, and that is putting it mildly. Parking is scarce, and if you don't make it to your car within 9:10 am you will get a ticket without fail. Now, this is a nice neighborhood, with a strong community bond and a neighborly ethic.
This leads me to the Wilborn temple at the end of Lancaster and Jay streets. I understand it's hard to sound righteous when complaining about a church and its parishioners, but things have got to change. They have a private lot, which the citizens of the neighborhood are forbidden to park in under penalty. Fine! It's their lot, they are more than entitled to it. But when church is in session, the parking lot overflows and the parishioners who seem to have no concept of the word "carpool" park EVERYWHERE. And when I say everywhere, I mean in front of hydrants, on the sidewalks, in "no standing" zones. Yesterday they were in session and we counted 24 illegally parked cars on Lancaster and Jay Street alone. ALL THREE fire hydrants near the church had been blocked. If there was an emergency, where would the fire department get its water? And this is assuming they could get through, with all the cars parked along the streets the way they were, it would be a miracle if a truck could make it down at all.
I would like someone to explain to me why the police turn a blind eye to it, when my husband got a ticket in the very same prohibited hydrant spot, when the front tire was a mere three inches over the yellow line. I would like someone to explain to me why, after I called and complained about the situation at the church, an officer slowly rolled by and didn't issue a single ticket.
As if to add insult to injury, the church puts a "pastor parking" sign in the street, thus (illegally) blocking more prime neighborhood parking. Someone please explain to me why this is necessary when THEY HAVE A PARKING LOT.
I am not an un-neighborly sort. I look out for my community and its residents. The ugly truth of the matter is that the situation with the Wilborn temple is effecting our quality of life here. Looking for parking is infuriating, and they only contribute to the problem. Three or more days a week our homes are vulnerable because the fire department won't be able to help us, and it's a slap in our faces when the police ignore the problem. Do they have a "ghost ticket" arrangement with the pastor? Are the police afraid of ticketing a church parishioner? Is there some sort of understanding that churches are exempt from parking rules and fire code, along with taxes?
Something has got to change.
No comments:
Post a Comment