Autumn is one of my favorite times of year. While Lark Fest may mark the bittersweet end of the summer festival season in Albany, a whole new world opens its doors to us. These doors are only open to us briefly before winter’s cold wind closes them for another year. Therefore, it’s best to cram as much as you can into these short months. Here are some of my favorite things:
· Apple Picking: Duh! Who doesn’t love apple picking? Though in truth, one of my favorite parts of visiting an orchard is shopping in its store. Cider donuts, sharp cheddar cheese, pumpkins, and all sorts of cute country trinkets make me think of simpler times. There are so many orchards in our area; just google them to find out which one is closest to you.
· Hiking: I like hiking in the fall because the weather is a bit more forgiving, and of course the views change from lush green to the reds and oranges of autumn. I used to compare it to a bowl of fruity pebbles. I just adore the crunch of leaves underfoot and the smell of the forest in the fall. Among my favorite places to go are Kaaterskil Falls in the Catskills (I wrote about that in the past) and the Huyck Preserve in Rensselaerville.
· Go for a drive: I love taking in the scenery and exploring new towns, stopping at random diners and antique shops. One rule- no interstates allowed! My favorite route so far is route 443 west through the hilltowns to meet up with route 30 south to Schoharie. The Schoharie valley is underrated and breathtaking. There are parks and shops and even old manor houses to tour, and wow, the landscape is incredible. Next on my list is route 9J south to Hudson. Can’t wait!
· Halloween: I love Halloween. I love its historical implications. I have always been a fan of Poe, Stephen King, Saint-Saëns and scary movies. I love going to haunted houses and having people in cheap costumes jump out at me. I love carving jack o’lanterns and decorating my house. My husband and I put way to much effort into Halloween every year, and we love it.
· Football season: I don’t even really like football that much, but it gives me an excuse to drink beer at noon on Sunday and cook my amazing chili. Plus, there’s something about it that is so quintessential Fall that I can hardly deny its appeal.
No comments:
Post a Comment