Friend Jen and I had been saying for weeks that we needed an Indian food fix. The difficulty is that there are a lot of places to choose from, many of which are within a two-mile radius. I wanted to try a new place, as the last place I tried was a little disappointing. Therefore, I began scouring the web for reviews. I'm really glad I did so, rather than picking a place at random.
The web was kind enough to tell me about a new(ish) place at Townsend Park Square (I don't know if that's the official term for that section of Central/Washington/Henry Johnson/Lark, but that's what I call it) called Aashaina. The vast majority of the reviews were very positive, and I also found out that the place was BYOB. I suggested we pick this place, and grab a bottle of wine on the way.
I did a little research online to find out which wine would pair well with Indian food, and we decided to go with a Gewürztraminer (pronounced: guh-VOORTS-truh-MEE-nur, say that five times fast) from Covey Run ($8.99). If you're not familiar, it's similar to a Riesling. It's a crisp white with a good balance of tartness and natural sweetness.
![]() |
| the wine and menu |
A friendly waiter came to the table, and consented to our drinking the wine. He even brought us a bottle opener and some glasses. We commenced to examining the menu to decide what to try. We settled on a couple of appetizers to share: The Vegetable Pakora @ $2.85, which are deep fried vegetables, and the Samosa Chaat @ $3.85, which is a yogurt sauce with boiled chickpeas, potatoes and chunks of samosa (which are deep fried vegetable patties).
![]() |
After a very brief wait, the appetizers arrived. The Pakora was delightful. It had an incredible aroma similar to fried onions, and was almost like calamari in appearance. I wasn't exactly sure what vegetable was even in there, but I didn't care. The Chaat was a nice surprise. It came out in a bowl like a stew, but was cold. The yogurt sauce was a little sweet and a little sour, and the light crispness of the samosa chunks was really nice. We were thoroughly enjoying ourselves. I had to stop myself from stuffing my face, as we still had entrées and naan coming.
![]() |
| the naan, rice, and entrees |
After eating a good sized helping, I had to stop. I was stuffed. And I had enough rice and tikka masala left to take home another whole portion (which Chris gobbled about 10 minutes after I got home). We lingered and chatted and drank the wine, and by the time we were ready to leave, we were the last ones there. Our server (I feel like he may have been the owner) chatted with us a bit; wanted to know how we heard of the place, what our names were, etc. He told me that in his language, my name-- or a word that sounds like it-- means "gift" or "reward." I though that was nice. In fact, the whole experience wasn't just nice, it was perfect. I arrived home with a happy glow that wasn't just the wine.
So please, go to Aashiana. Bring some wine or a six pack and enjoy a fantastic meal and good conversation with a loved one. I want this place to be around for a long time.
The grand total for the meal, including the wine, was $40-- which we split right down the middle.



No comments:
Post a Comment