Pages

Tuesday, March 2, 2010

The Oscars 2010

If you are anything like me, you love the movies. My whole life I’ve had a passion for the cinema, and when awards season arrives, I love to root for my favorite films (seeing all the glamorous gowns is a little bonus). This year, the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences is trying something new: there will be 10 movies nominated in the “Best Picture” category as opposed to the usual five. This year the nominees are:
Avatar, The Blind Side, District 9, An Education, The Hurt Locker, Inglorious Basterds, Precious, A Serious Man, Up, Up in the Air
This year’s Best Picture category is certainly varied; there is an animated Disney film, a bloody Quentin Tarantino piece, two FX laden Sci-Fi films, a war drama, a Cohen bros. comedy, and a couple of human interest dramas with very serious themes. If you want to see some of the nominees by the March 7th telecast, you can still catch An Education, The Hurt Locker and Up in the Air at the Spectrum, and you can still see Avatar at Colonie Center or Crossgates in 3D.
Which do you think will win? I’m putting my money (figuratively) on The Hurt Locker, but Avatar could also win the big prize.
The Oscars will be on ABC on Sunday, March 7th at 8pm.

2 comments:

  1. I wonder if the expanded number of nominees is because they couldn't overlook the obvious blockbusters of this past year. Still, my money's on one of the "deeper" films, like "Precious" or "The Blind Side".

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm still betting on the "Hurt Locker," but I've changed my mind about Avatar. I think the "big budget dark horse" will be "Inglorious Basterds."

    ReplyDelete